Dual Axis Gyro Module
The Dual-Axis Gyro module carries the IDG-500 from InvenSense. The IDG-500 uses complex, high-performance MEMS technology to offer 500°/sec full scale range and 2mV/°/sec sensitivity of rotation, and also includes a patented “Auto Zero” feature for minimizing bias drift over temperature. Because temperature sensing is core to its function, the IDG-500 is also able to read out temperatures from -20 to 85 C. This versatile chip has a number of additional integrated features, such as a 4.5x second gain stage amplifier, as well as built-in low-pass filters.
Even though the IDG-500 is designed to accept a 3V power supply, the board itself is built to be 5V tolerant for most Arduino-based projects. The Dual Axis Gyro module is also equipped with a 3V regulator to provide power out as well, and was designed with hollow center for easy rotational mounting.
Combine this with a JeeNode and/or accelerometer you’ve got a nice portable data sensor for human (or robot) bodies.
The Dual Axis Gyro Module comes assembled, but with (2) 8-pin male headers provided unmounted.
- High performance motion sensing game controllers
- Autonomous vehicle balance sensing
- Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) roll, pitch or yaw detection
- Physiological gait measurement
- Vcc (3V out)
- Integrated X- and Y- axis gyros on a single chip
- Two separate outputs per axis for higher speed motions and lower-speed precise movements: 500°/s full scale range (higher speed) and 110°/s full scale range (high precision)
- Integrated low-pass filter
- Auto Zero function
- Temperature sensor
- 4.5x second gain stage amplifier
- High vibration rejection over wide frequency range
- High cross-axis isolation for design
- 10,000 g shock tolerance
- 3V single supply operation
- RoHS and Green Compliant
- Designed for use in 5V analog applications standard to Arduino
Dual Axis Gyro Cheat Sheet (8.992 KBytes, Document file, Jul 20, 2010)
Code and pin connections to get the dual axis gyro up and running in 5 minutes or less.